Thursday, March 31, 2011

Two Books In My News

Did you miss the launch reading of The Honeybee Man? Never fear - I'll be reading it again next Sunday, April 10 at BookCourt (163 Court Street in Cobble Hill),  from 11:00-12:00. I'll also be doing a bee-related craft with the kiddies, so please come on down!

Long before she discovered the delights of bees and honey, my daughter, Ada, was crazy about clothes. And here I mean crazy in a frenetic, difficult and daily challenging way. It took me a long time to understand that it was her extreme sensitivity to the things she was wearing – socks, shoes, shirt sleeves under sweaters, the label stitched at the back of her dress – that caused every morning to culminate in a boneless, shrieking meltdown as we tried to get out the door. To other parents who find themselves desperately attempting to cope with Tactile Defensiveness, here's a book that's certain to help: I'll Tell You Why...I Can't Wear Those Clothes, by my oldest friend on the planet, Noreen O'Sullivan. Its interactive format offers the opportunity not only to talk to your children about what plagues them, but for them to explain themselves as well. Noreen's currently working out US distribution, but the book is available to order on Amazon UK right this minute (just follow the link). I wish I'd had this in my motherly arsenal way-back-when!